|The 47th Flying Training Wing, located
at Laughlin Air Force Base, Texas, conducts joint specialized
undergraduate pilot training for the United States Air Force, Air
Force Reserve, Air National Guard and allied nation air forces
utilizing the T-37, T-38 and T-1A aircraft.
The history of the wing dates back to 1947. On July 28, 1947, the
47th Bombardment Wing, Light, was designated, with the organization
occurring Aug. 15, 1947. Between its organization and 1949, the wing
trained in night tactical operations, conducted firepower
demonstrations and participated in tactical exercises while flying the
A-26, and later, the B-26 aircraft. The wing was organized at Biggs
AFB, TX, and in November 1948 moved to Barksdale AFB, LA.
The wing was inactivated in October 1949 and reactivated March 12,
1951, at Langley AFB, VA, and transitioned to the B-45 medium jet
bomber. From May 1951 until February 1952, the wing provided combat
crew training in B-26 aircraft and operated the USAF Air Crew School
(Light Bombardment and Tactical Reconnaissance, Night Photographic).
The wing moved to RAF Sculthorpe, England, in June 1952 and for the
next decade performed tactical training operations, including
participation in exercises and firepower demonstrations in support of
the North Atlantic Treaty Organization. During the assignment to
England, the wing was redesignated the 47th Bombardment Wing,
Tactical. The wing converted from the B-45 bomber to the B-66
Destroyer in 1958. From 1960 to 1962, the wing assumed an air
refueling mission utilizing the KB-50 tanker.
The wing was inactivated in June 1962. A decade later, Sept. 1,
1972, the wing was reactivated and redesignated as the 47th Flying
Training Wing, replacing and absorbing the resources of the 3646th
Pilot Training Wing at Laughlin AFB.
The 47th FTW commands a flying operation which exceeds 105,000
flying hours and 90,000 sorties per year. It is composed of more than
1,300 military personnel, 1,124 civilian employees and a total base
community exceeding 4,200 people.